Monday, February 11, 2008

Why is it more expensive to buy recyled??

At work today, I attended a kick-off event for RecycleMania, which is a competition among college campuses to increase recycling and reduce waste. One of the presenters showed a slide that said it is less expensive for companies to produce recycled paper than it is to produce virgin paper.

One student raised his hand and asked, "If that's true, why is it more expensive to purchase recycled paper?"

He is right. I'm the purchasing coordinator for my section at work, and in many cases, the "green" option costs more green - sometimes a lot more. It frustrates me because I'm then torn between being a good steward of the environment, and being a good steward of taxpayer dollars. This plays out in my personal life as well - though in much lower dollar amounts.

So what's the deal? Is it really cheaper to produce recycled paper, and the manufacturers are just ripping off those of us who are committed to creating demand for recycled? I hate to feel like a sucker....

No comments: